[Perform-Talk] New here! And also some questions!

Cristina Jones caldomo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 07:57:40 UTC 2019

Hi, Portia!

Welcome to the list!  Have you been involved with the NFB at all, and/or are you a member of the division?  :)

As far as any thoughts on a monolog to select … I would say to find something you have already used as the deadline is so close, or to find something that really resonates with you on an emotional level as it would make it a quicker process for you to connect with it, and a more organic process for you to react to it. Stick to whatever your emotional strengths are in acting.  If that’s vulnerability, then select a monolog that’s on the more vulnerable side to showcase that.  If it’s a strong,, bold character, then find something that showcases  that.  If you can’t think of those particular characteristics off the top of your head, think of movies or books where a character was someone you really identified with and felt for and try and find a monolog from that character’s role and pluck it out from there or look the script up for it. You could also dictate it and learn it that way.

I know there are sites where you can get monologs off line, but I’m personally not aware of what exactly they are.  Perhaps a quick Google search would help with this.

As far as other resources specifically serving the blindness community, I think that really depends on where you are geographically, and how much of a commitment you want to make. Are you in the LA area?  If so, how old are you?  I might be able to help you out and give you a little more guidance if you’re in California.  I can potentially help you hunt down other resources elsewhere, but I might not immediately know where that might be.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanks Giving!  Again, welcome to the list, and welcome to this section of NFB if the Federation is new to you as it is for me. :)

Take care, and all the best luck to you!

Best,
Cristina Jones
Board Member—National Performing Arts Division
www.theblindsoprano.com <http://www.theblindsoprano.com/>