[Perform-Talk] Need Some Advice

Shelly Kane shellykane323 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 20:40:23 UTC 2021

Thank you so much for your advice.  Yes, it does get discouraging but I
will keep trying.  I just need to email these companies to see if they
are looking for a teacher and go from there.  i don't even know if they
are looking but my trainer told me to put myself out there.  Do you
think I should tell them I'm blind right away when I contact them or
would you wait?  The last time I applied for this kind of job was many
years ago and I didn't tell them I was blind and when I went for the
interview, they acted like we didn't have anything scheduled and I
definitely don't want to go through that again.  Thanks in advance.

Shelly

On 7/23/2021 5:03 AM, Sandra Gayer via Perform-Talk wrote:
> [...]
> rejection as well. Persevere and you'll succeed! My strategy with
> auditions is to do them and move on as quickly as possible. I know
> it's easier said than done. If you do a lot of them in a short space
> of time, it gets easier. Getting jobs helps forget the negative
> results of silence after an audition or a rejection letter. There will
> be companies out there who will want to take you on. The more you put
> yourself out there, not just auditions but performing and releasing
> videos on the Internet, charities will want performers especially as
> industry opens more. You don't know who is watching these things.
>
> Hopefully some of this is helpful to you.
>
> Very best wishes,
> Sandra.
>
> www.sandragayer.com
>
> On 7/22/21, Leslie Hamric via Perform-Talk <perform-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> Hi Shelly. I suggest apply wherever you can. keep trying until you get
>> someone who is receptive enough to at least give you a try. Whatever you do,
>> don't give up. I can speak from personal experience because I tried to
>> audition for two different orchestras before I found a third one that would
>> take me. What I did When I auditions for the Elmhurst Sympwhen I audition
>> for the Elmhurst Symphony was wa play my cello  first,   and then, i
>> answered questions from the conductor. I don't remember all of them but the
>> two main questions I remember our: how do you know when to come in? How will
>> you keep up with the orchestra? With the other two orchestras, the first
>> conductor was not willing to even try and with the second orchestra, I got
>> as far as the principal cellist who claimed this was just not going to work.
>> All you can do is the best you can in an interview or audition and whatever
>> happens after that is out of your hands. That's true for anyone, blind or
>> cited. It always feels like we are blind performers have double the amount
>> of pressure because not only do we have to know our stuff, but we also have
>> to convince the person auditioning us that our blindness isn't going to get
>> in the way. i'm sure others on here can relate. Feel free to email me
>> privately if you would like to chat more. Good luck and remember, do not
>> give up.
>> Leslie
>>

>> Leslie Hamric
>> Cello and Braille Music Teacher
>> Board member of National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division
>> Graduate Council Member of Guiding Eyes for the Blind
>>
>>> On Jul 22, 2021, at 2:15 AM, Shelly Kane via Perform-Talk
>>> <perform-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>         Hi Group:
>>>

>>> I don't post much here but I joined because I wanted to be in contact with
>>> other blind performers.  I have been a dancer for many years.  At the
>>> present time, my trainer and I talked about me possibly becoming a
>>> teacher.  It would be more of a pop dance class so I wouldn't be
>>> performing.  I would be teaching a dance workout with choreography to each