[Perform-Talk] Need Some Advice

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 19:09:28 UTC 2021

Lol Jana, me too.

I think it takes someone with a thick skin to handle rejection with a
super positive attitude. But I also love what Sandra says. If you can
get feedback, there is always somewhere to go with that feedback. What
hurts the most is when rejection is a dead end. Either you don't know
why you've been rejected or it's clearly blindness related, and
sometimes you can't change someone's uneducated attitude about
blindness if they won't let you in the door.

I am not strong when it comes to rejection honestly. It helps to have
something positive, successful in your life where you feel confident
if you're pursuing a goal that may involve lots of rejection. If
you're teaching a good group of students, taking a class where you're
learning lots and feeling good, even making it a point to cook meals
for your family and friends that they appreciate...  Anything where
you can go to feel as though you are making a tangible difference.
This is the only way I got through over a year of unemployment. I
cooked and baked a lot, led a worship team at my church, and learned
new routes around the town I lived in at the time. Anything to make
you feel accomplished. As for the rejection itself, Sandra is spot on.
If you can get feedback, get it and try to learn from it. That way
you'll have goals to work for, or you can console yourself that you
didn't get the job because they had someone specific in mind or
something else. Having a solid support system is super helpful too.
Family, friends, and mentors who believe in you make all the
difference. And taking good care of yourself, particularly if you do
not currently have a job to fall back on. Take time to love your
performing art, to practice it with your trainer or others who help
you continue to love it so that it doesn't become this thing that only
brings you rejection.

Hope that helps. Yes, we are all rooting for you here as well.