[Perform-Talk] [NFBF-L] My First Recording of the New Year

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 6 23:37:55 UTC 2023

Dear All,

	Thank you for your replies and support! For those interested, I have
a very simple set-up. I have a Blue bird mic that came with the $300
purchase of a FocusRite Scarlet 2I2, a two channel interface. I record using
Reaper which is very accessible both for blind people and our wallets. The
Software cost me $65 when I purchased it about ten years ago. You also get a
60-day trial period but there is really no clock in the software that will
shut you down or limit availability of certain features as some other DAWs.
That is in no way an invitation to avoid buying a license but, truth be
told, with my busy lifestyle it took me a little longer to get through the
figure it out stage. So, try it out for 60 days or more, if you need, but at
$65, it is practically being given away!
The only thing I would like to do is get a different mic. The Blue Bird is a
great starter mic but it doesn't get me the sound I want from my Martin D35.

	I also want to add that I am totally blind and built the recording
booth with my own two hands with the exception of Lowes cutting four 2" X 4"
X 12' in half that form the headers and the footers. The room is just under
a 6' X 6' - just under to help ward off harmonics. It is fairly soundproof,
except in keeping the booming basses that sometimes pass from shaking my
floor. I have thick curtains on the walls and the ability to pull them aside
if I want some echo or slap back. The most important lesson I learned from
this construction experience is that I did not miss my calling as a
carpenter!

	If anyone wants to chat recording, I think there's a couple others
on this list who use Reaper and have studios! If any of you have recording
capabilities and want to collaborate over the internet, that is a great way
to hone our art!

Happy New Year!
Marion