[Perform-Talk] Question about affective music student accommodations

Katelyn MacIntyre katelynmacmusic at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 05:34:59 UTC 2023

Hi Julia,
You’ve gotten some great suggestions to think about here. Here are a few things I would add to give you some potential ideas.
First, if you ever find yourself thinking you may need a reader, I would list it as an accommodation. Some schools are reluctant to hire one for you, because it can be expensive, but I found it was always helpful just in case, as you can’t always get those accessible documents in time.
Secondly, consider anything you may need for a music theory/sight singing class. Braille  music is probably already going to help you a lot, but I did find it helpful at the beginning to have the TA or someone like an aid to sit next to me and explain anything that the teacher was putting up on the board, in case I needed clarification. Might be worth requesting a potential assistant for those type of classes, even if you end up not needing it. Of course, that is a personal decision and you will figure out what works best for you.
My last main thought for now is about ensembles. Do you need any extra accommodations for orchestra? If they require sightsinging in auditions, do you need to get that music ahead of time?
I do also echo the part about practice room space, as that can get complicated. It’s not the end of the world to walk by listening and knock on a few doors, but if you’re able to have a designated hour or two each day, in a specific room, that you know you can always use, that can be really helpful.
I’ll let you know if I think of more ideas! So excited for you!

~Katelyn MacIntyre, M.M.
www.katelynmac.com
www.facebook.com/KatelynMacMusic
@KatelynMacMusic
President, National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division