[Perform-Talk] Jobs in Audio

melissaariccobono at gmail.com melissaariccobono at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 15:33:29 UTC 2024

Hello Elizabeth,
 There are tons of jobs out there, and tons of places you can start depending on what interests you, whether you want to do this type of job for your career, or whether you'd rather work it on the side, whether you want/are willing to learn basic, or perhaps not so basic editing, in order to fix your own mistakes and create a complete project that sounds great... I could go on and on. I am exploring this exact type of career, and would be happy to talk with you about what I have done so far if you would like. You can email me off list at
MelissaARiccobono at gmail.com
So we can set up a call. I think this is the type of thing much easier done over the phone, or on Zoom, than via email!
I will say a few things. First, there are definitely jobs out there. Audible has the Audio Book Creation Exchange. If you search for it, you'll find the website. You can create a profile, then audition for different jobs put up on the site. The drawback to this is you have to be your own editor, unless you can find someone, and pay someone, to work with you to get the editing done for you. Or, unless the author is willing to pay both you as a narrator and someone else to edit.
You can see if your local library for the blind records any books, and whether you could volunteer to record for them to get experience.
You can see if your public radio, or some other local radio station, has internships for people to create content. Sometimes they do, and that could be a neat way for you to use your voice to tell a different type of story.
You may want to consider taking some type of acting classes, or getting a voice coach just to get some formal type of training to put on a resume.
While you are figuring out what you might want to do with your voice practice, practice, practice! Read out loud. Pretend you are voicing commercials if that's what you're interested in. Listen to others to see what you like about their delivery and what you would change, or what grates on your nerves.
There is also a course called the Great Audio Book Adventure. I went to an intro session, and I know there has been at least one blind person who completed the course. I thought the course was quite expensive, mostly because the way it was set up did not seem like a great fit for me. But that's just me! I'm sure many people love it, and it works great for them, so you should check it out for yourself if you're interested in book narration.
Again, I'm happy to share more with you if you email me off list. The best of luck to you! This is a huge field, and figuring out where you might fit can definitely be daunting!
Melissa