[Perform-Talk] Choral Staging Logistics

Linda Mentink lmentink7360 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:25:25 UTC 2026


Hi Julie,

This sounds to me like a case of people not wanting to follow orders/directions. You could kick them out of the choir for insubordination and unwillingness to cooperate. Or, talk with the pastor or whoever hired you. It's nothing you can take care of, since some are unwilling to respect your authority, probably because you're blind. It's out-and-out rebellion. They don't sound like Christians to me!

I'm sorry this is happening. You were so honored and excited to have this new position.

Blessings,

Linda


On Sep 28, 2026 3:06 PM, "Julie A. Orozco via Perform-Talk" <perform-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I cross posted, so apologies if you see it in multiple places. I am a music
> director at a Methodist church, and we have a small choir that I conduct. I
> am having a difficult time working with them on standing in the right places
> when we sing, and I would like some advice.
>
> We have a choir of about 10. Depending on the piece we are singing, they
> either sing in the choir loft, on the stage in a semicircle, or on the stage
> and the steps to the stage in lines. I know that singing in the choir loft
> would cut out all these problems with moving around, but I don't hear them
> as well when they sing there, and if our choir is too small, they don't hear
> as well in the loft either. I like to be able to use our formations on the
> stage when I can. We have a number of problems with this, and I'll list them
> below.
>
> I tell them where I want them. Like, I will literally say their names and
> give them their order, and they will not end up in that order.
>
> I have asked one of our paid singers, section leaders, to draw a diagram on
> the board for them. She does, and we still have the same problem as above.
> They don't follow it.
>
> This problem is only made worse by the simple fact that I cannot make eye
> contact, I cannot see what's happening on the stage and redirect, and I
> cannot use gestures to show them where I need them to be. I do not have
> usable vision, but I cannot speak while we are up on the stage.
>
> Here are some solutions I've come up with. Some of them have sort of worked.
>
> I have asked one of our section leaders to do what I can't on stage. She has
> the job of directing them and making sure they are where we have decided. I
> trust her implicitly with this. But some of the members don't follow her
> lead.
>
> We have rehearsals where we practice in the sanctuary. I've taught them
> stage directions because those help me communicate where I want them without
> having to point or say over there. This usually helps, but this year, the
> choir seems particularly resistant to being shuffled around.
>
> I have had diagrams drawn and gone over them personally with the choir. I
> have memorized where everyone needs to be, gone over it, and memorized it.
> And still, we have people not going where they are supposed to, people
> standing back from the microphones, etc.
>
> I am not sure how to address this and how to manage it. It makes me feel
> anxious that this is actively out of my control as a director. I can't see
> what's happening on the stage as our singers are getting into place, and I
> don't see a way I can change that. Short of teaching my choir telepathy,
> there is no way I will know what's happening while I'm taking my place to
> conduct before our song.
>
> Has anyone directed a choir and dealt with this before? What did you do? I
> don't think it would undermine my authority to ask a section leader to take
> point on this while we are on the stage, but I do have that nagging fear
> that this would somehow confuse the choir, since the director should be
> doing this part. Choirs only have one director for a reason after all.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts you have,
>
> Julie
>
> Julie A. Orozco MM, JD
>
> _______________________________________________
> Perform-Talk mailing list
> Perform-Talk at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/perform-talk_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Perform-Talk:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/perform-talk_nfbnet.org/lmentink7360%40gmail.com


More information about the Perform-Talk mailing list