[Pibe-division] [AERNet] Eating with a Fork

Gail Katona Wagner wagner_g at aps.edu
Thu Dec 18 19:07:03 UTC 2008

Interesting to read everyone's thoughts. As a TVI with 22 schools to
cover, my reality is that I do not have the time to teach ECC, even
though I know it's important. The reality is, there are not enough of us
to go around. The reality is, even if schools/districts want to hire
more teachers, there aren't enough of us to go around. How sad that an
11 year old can't eat with a fork. We see it all too often. How sad that
parents can't find someone to help. We really need to think of "taking a
village to raise a child" approach. As a TVI, I don't directly teach
these skills (I used to....) but we definitely need to talk to parents,
OTs, other staff, about the expectations and possibilities for our kids
and provide suggestions and encouragement. This is just one example of
why it is so important to help our parents connect with NOPBC and the
NFB to find mentors.

Gail