[Pibe-division] BISM Announces Independence 2010

EricGuillory at aol.com EricGuillory at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 23:00:01 UTC 2010

Greetings All,
Thinking about summer plans for your students? The  Louisiana Center for
the Blind would like to remind all interested parties that  the deadline for
applications to our two summer programs for blind youth is  rapidly
approaching.
The Center's Buddy Program is a three-week residential  program for
students in grades 4-8 which focuses primarily on intensive  instruction in skills
of blindness (i.e., Braille, assistive technology, cane  travel, and living
skills) while also giving students plenty of opportunities  for
socialization and the enjoyment of recreational activities. The dates for  Buddy Program
2010 are July 18-August 7.
The STEP (Summer Training and Employment Project) Program  is designed for
students who are entering either the 10th,  11th, or 12th grades in the fall
of 2010. Like the Buddy  Program, the STEP Program is staffed by highly
skilled blind role models and  focuses primarily on skills of blindness
instruction. STEP Program students will  also attend the NFB National Convention in
Dallas. During the second phase of  the program, to take place after
students return from the post-convention break,  students continue to receive
skills of blindness training, but are also provided  with a work experience at a
business in or near the city of Ruston, Louisiana.  Thus, students are
given necessary foundational skills for life-long success,  coupled with
real-world workplace involvement to further enhance their skill  sets and abilities
to interact in a variety of social and professional contexts.
The dates for STEP 2010 are June 13-August 7, with  approximately a week
off following the conclusion of National Convention July 8.
For more details or for application information (one may  apply
electronically) on either the Buddy or STEP Programs, please visit our  website at
_www.lcb-ruston.com_ (http://www.lcb-ruston.com/)  and point to Programs and
Services. Please also feel  free to contact me with any questions or for
additional details.
Cordially yours,
Eric Guillory
Director of Youth Services