[Pibe-division] Braille Instruction

Jackie Anderson jackieanderson54 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 21:03:38 UTC 2010

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I am also a parent of a low vision student.  She is currently learning Braille.  I have beeno all sides.  I, myself is a blinkd adult.  I have taught in the publick school system as a second/third grade teacher.  I ahve always enjoy working with children, blind or sighted.  After the birth of my daughter and realizing the struggle to get services for her, I decided that I had to do something about it.  We started a summer specifically for low-vision students whe were not receiving services.  During the program I kept hearing the same story over and over.  I decided to go back to school and obtain my masters in education as a TVI.  My experience growing up an my daughter's experience has really shaped my philosophy of Braille education.  Now that I am really going out into the field, I wanted to see if my philosophy was in line with the field.  I wanted to make sure I did not have these lofty
 ideas.  I don not.  I too believe that students learning Braille should be reieving instruction that is equal to their sighted peer.  I hope that where ever I end up teaching, I will be able to put into practice many of the suggestions I have received from others here.  Thanks