[Pibe-division] FW: Warren Figueiredo's obituary ...

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri May 21 17:40:55 UTC 2010

         David Andrews and long white cane Harry, dandrews at visi.com
Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/dandrews920

Warren D. Figueiredo

<http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookid=5935787760354&cid=full>Visit
Guest Book

Funeral service will be held Friday, May 21, at a 10 a.m. Mass of
Christian Burial in St. Francis Regis Catholic Church, Arnaudville,
for Warren Douglas Figueiredo, 58, who passed away Wednesday, May 19,
2010, at J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home in Arnaudville. Interment
will be in St. Francis Regis Cemetery in Arnaudville. The Rev. Keenan
Brown, pastor of St. Francis Regis Catholic Church, will officiate at
the services. Warren was a native of Arnaudville and resident of
Baton Rouge. He spent his life in service to the blind community as
an educator and a Braille producer. He attended Leonville High School
and the Louisiana School for the Blind, from which he received his
high school diploma in 1970. His bachelor's degree in secondary
education came from Louisiana Tech University in 1973. In 1976, he
received his literary Braille transcriber's certificate from the
Library of Congress. He attended the University of Texas at Austin
where he earned a master's degree in special education with an
emphasis on visual disabilities in 1980. From 1973 through 2004, he
was a staff member of the Louisiana School for the Blind and its
offshoot, the Louisiana School for the Visually Impaired. Throughout
his years at the school at one time or another he taught French,
Braille and language arts. He also worked in the recreation program,
served as dean of boys and was a school librarian. He also was a
resource teacher for students who went from LSVI to local high
schools. He founded and oversaw the Outreach and Technical Assistance
Project. During his final years at LSVI, he directed the Louisiana
Instructional Materials Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired,
where he and his hardworking staff made sure that blind students
across the state had their Braille and large print books. For many
years he assisted with the LEAP test. Warren served as an ex officio
trustee of the American Printing House for the Blind and represented
APH on the Braille Authority of North America. He also served on the
board of the National Braille Association. He had the privilege of
serving on the board of Braille Planet. He was a lifelong member of
the National Federation of the Blind, where he served for many years
as the treasurer of the National Association to Promote the Use of
Braille. He had a lifelong respect for so many of the members of the
blind community as they struggled to achieve independence, gain
respect and achieve equality. He was a member of St. Agnes Catholic
Church in Baton Rouge. Survivors include his father, Luiz Figueiredo,
of Sao Paola, Brazil; his mother, Louise Guilbeau Rabalais, of
Arnaudville; two brothers, Luiz Figueiredo Jr. and his wife, Maria,
of Arnaudville, and Carlos Figueiredo, of Indonesia; a stepbrother,
Murray Rabalais Jr. and his wife, Joan, of Thibodaux; a half-sister,
Ann Marie Richard, of Lafayette; a stepsister, Karen Rabalais Olivier
and her husband, Pat, of Arnaudville; and several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his stepfather, Murray Rabalais. A rosary
will be prayed at 9 a.m. Friday in the funeral home. The family
requests that visiting hours be observed Friday from 8 a.m. until
service time. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in the name
of Warren Figueiredo may be made to American Printing House for the
Blind, 1839 Frankfort Ave., Louisville, KY 40206-0085. Pallbearers
will be Murray Rabalais Jr., Patrick Olivier, Pat Olivier, Mario
Figueiredo, Tibby Figueiredo and Francis Guilbeau. View the obituary
and guestbook online at
<http://www.melanconfuneralhome.net>www.melanconfuneralhome.net.
Melancon Funeral Home of Arnaudville, 224 Main St., (337) 754-5725,
is in charge of arrangements.
Published in The Advocate on May 21, 2010