[Pibe-division] older braille and LP text books

Sheila Amato brltrans at verizon.net
Thu Apr 28 19:34:08 UTC 2011

Hi, Gail – I’ve been sending all of my older issue braille books and outdated but gently used blindness materials to Melissa Foor. She ships containers of educational blindness materials to the school and programs for the blind in Sierra Leone, Africa. This is what she wrote to me:

“we have missionaries stationed in Kono District Sierra Leone in Koidu Town. They will drive to Freetown, Sierra Leone to pick up the container from there. ... When I was at the school last year, a young blind man grabbed my hand as we were leaving (he know I was a teacher here) and said, ‘please... if you can do anything to help us get books, writing frames, ANYTHING.. please try.’  That has stuck with me so strongly. I told him that I couldn’t promise him, but that I would do my very best to do that. I am simply trying to do my best to get books and materials in the hands of those who desperately need them and would cherish whatever was given!”

If you would like to contact Melissa about this, her email is mfoor at newporftsd.org  and her address for shipping materials (free matter for the blind) is:

Melissa Foor
224 N. 4th St.
Newport, PA 17074