[Pibe-division] Objectives for Teaching Braille

Mary Donahue braille at satx.rr.com
Sat Jan 8 03:55:23 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

    The San Antonio, Texas Chapter will be sponsoring a Braille class which
we hope to begin either in April or May. I have recommended using _The
_McDuffy _Reader and the _Slate _Book. I do not have either of those texts
yet. If I am correct, the Chapter will be paying for any Braille materials.

    Our Chapter president has asked me to write up a list of objectives for
teaching Braille. I've taught before, but it was mostly in the fields of
reading, English, English as a Second Language (ESL), and Spanish. I taught
Braille to one of my readers in college, but that was over 35 years ago,
and, in addition, I have graded Braille lessons from students taking the NLS
Literary Braille Course.

    Will any of you Braille teachers or VI teachers please come forward and
give me some suggestions? I want to report something to our Chapter
president at next Saturday's Chapter meeting if I can. I plan to teach the
Braille writer and the slate and stylus simultaneously after the bad
experiences I had learning the slate.

    Whatever suggestions you can give, they will be appreciated. Thank you
in advance.

Mary Donahue

"Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."
Garrison Keillor