[Pibe-division] New Technologies & Web-Based Education - How New Guidelines Impact Our Kids

DrV pumpkinracer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 13:07:02 UTC 2011

Hi,

I had a request for the links to the letters & FAQ sheet, so apparently the
links to the letters were not visible to all, thus I am providing those
below.

I have received a few responses - all but one have been requests for me to
post the responses I get. One individual expressed that it was their
understanding that schools must use accessible webpages & also pointed out
that iPad are apparently very accessible & that braille displays and
keyboards can be linked to an iPad for easier use. (This implies that VI
teachers should now be well-versed not only in braille notetaker
technologies, but familiar with the iPad, how it is used in the educational
setting, & how to link it to braille notetakers for students to use –
something else to add to VI teaching program curriculums if it is not
already in place.)

I must admit that while it is summer & many are on break, the shocking lack
of responses means that either this is all old news that everyone is aware
of - or something that is not common knowledge in the VI/blind communities.
My concern is that if the VI programs are not familiar with this, then it is
not likely that superintendents, principals, & regular classroom & teachers
are likewise not aware of this.

If someone who is well-informed about this could take the time to elaborate
& share some specifics, that would be greatly appreciated.

The direct links are below.

Sincerely,

Eric

1. June 29, 2010 US Department of Education Dear Colleague letter:
www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-20100629.html.

2. Guidelines in the form of Frequently Asked Questions:
www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/dcl-ebook-faq-201105.html.

3. May 26, 2011 second US DOE Dear Colleague letter stating that the same
legal obligations apply to elementary and secondary schools:

www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201105-ese.html

Department of Education issued a Dear Colleague letter<http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-20100629.html>on June 29, 2010 informing all college and university presidents that their
> institutions must be sure that emerging technologies that they plan to
> deploy to students are accessible to the blind and other students with
> disabilities. Guidelines in the form of Frequently Asked Questions<http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/dcl-ebook-faq-201105.html>,
> were issued to supplement the department’s Dear Colleague letter<http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-20100629.html>
> .
>
> The May NFB Immediate Release Bulletin (
> www.nfb.org/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=804) states that the US
Department