[Pibe-division] which products kurzweill 100 or open book do TVIs and blind people use?

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 15:53:46 UTC 2011

Which software products that use optical character recognition software, particularly Kurzweill 1000 and Open book from Freedom Scientific, do teachers of the visually impaired and blind and blind consumers use? I am considering purchasing either Kurzweill or open book but I am interested in knowing which product do people on this list use. Can you include the advantages and disadvantages about the product you use. I am aware that both of the above products have been reviewed by the nfb and afb. The nfb review was published in 2001; Acess World a publication about assistive technology, had a review of both products in 2006. Acess world is published by the organization afb. Thanks for any responses people share.
Sara Rooz
certified teacher of the blind and visually immpaired in new york
independent related service provider vision education services