[Pibe-division] The Problem with TOO Much Help

DrV pumpkinracer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 21:00:57 UTC 2011

My 2 thoughts:
1. I agree with Wendy - The reality is that to cut costs, we are now seeing
more nurses aides, physicians assistants, nurse practitioners, OT & PT
aides, there has been talk of O&M instructional aides.
2. Broad-brush statements about aides being good or bad aren't necessarily
productive as they certainly don't apply to all situations. If an aide is
deemed beneficial by that student's IEP Team (which should include the
parents & at least 2 VI professionals - the TVI & O&M instructor) & a
particular aide is not providing appropriate support, then they need to be
properly trained. One of the problems is that there is no standard training
program for aides - it may be left up to the non-VI district professionals
or the TVI. Based on our experience, most of the aide training does not
happen beforehand, but rather "on the job" in piecemeal on-the-fly. If an
aide is trained properly, they are more likely to be an asset, particularly
in mainstreamed settings where the TVI may only be at the students school a
few times a week.
Eric