[Pibe-division] can anuanuy tvi working students wiht additional disabilities answer hopw onvince two parents necdessity to get iupdated eye report otherwi

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 19:10:46 UTC 2011

Hello fellow educators and other blind consumers:

My apologies to posing a  question to this list but I need advice about two students with additional disabilities and have received vision services for the past two years. This past year, the local cse requested that all my students who have additional disabilities and are either blind or visually impaired    that each parent or guardian get an updated eye report. The majority of parents complied. However, there are two parents who have not complied. One parent is difficult to speak with but there is a person who can speak to the parent about the necessity of getting an eye report of the child's visual acuity. I am hoping this parent will comply. Another parent who I  managed to speak with personally informed that it's difficult for this parent to take the child to the ophthalmologist. When I went down to the school today where I provide vision education services I was told that the local cse will not approve vision education services this year to any student who does not have an updated eye report. I explained to the principal, social worker and school nurse as well as a health related provider to stress to the parent the necessity for this child to be seen by an ophthalmologist and has also indicated to theschool social worker  that I had made contact and that the parent had refused to take the child for an eye exam. I also informed the district that approves each student's vision education services and was told not to sign off these particular students for vision educational  services until both parents comply with the local cse for an updated eye exam. I understand that students with additional disabilities including visually impaired may have a lot of medical issues to deal with or the family dynamics may make  it difficult to go to a doctor's appointment. Any suggestion how I proceed? The school feels that it is not my responsibility to go with any  particular child to an ophthalmologist. The school feels that I have overextended myself by contacting every parent initially and following up with each parent to ensure that an updated eye report has been submitted to the local cse and school. How does one proceed in my case? I would appreciate comments and suggestions from  more experienced teachers of the blind who teach  with students with additional disabilities including blindness or a visual impairment. How  can it be  suggest that the parents comply with the essential need for a updated eye report otherwise these two particularly visually impaired students won't be receiving vision education services. I will also not be assisting these children meeting the Iep goals and short term objectives I have written for them. So when it comes for each  child's annual review what do I submit to the local CSE? Thanks for any suggestions more experienced teachers of the blind and visually impaired teaching students with additional disabilities who are blind or visually impaired can advise me how to proceed.

Sara Rooz

Certified Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired in New York

Independent Related Service Provider Vision Education Services in New York City