[Pibe-division] Any suggestions?

Kristen J Sims ksims at opsb.net
Mon Sep 19 16:12:15 UTC 2011

I am working with a student who is beginning Unit 6 which only took a semester to get to if done quickly. She now knows most of the code the only exceptions are final letter and dropped signs (and short forms that use them). I expect these will begin to be introduced in this unit and in 7. But even if they are not you can begin to go up in levels of reading using AR books or other leveled readers and use the take them as they come approach.
The good thing about BOP for new teachers is that the curriculum is faster but the signs build on each other. After they have "so" down they move on to "some" and compound words using "some" to reinforce the word some. The grammar and phonics lessons also relate. It gives choices for answers based on tactual similarity and phonetic similarity. It will also align with GLEs!
Am I pro BOP, you bet. Do I use it with everyone? No. You have to look at the student. But if she is not reading it is a very good starting point. I was not a reading teacher first so it is helpful for me. But for those who are trained in that, what they do is probably better. I get my phonemes mixed up. "Johnny can spell" but "Kristen cannot"Kristen J. SimsTeacher of Blind StudentsVision Services OPSB318-432-5400Only the educated are free. Epictetus