[Pibe-division] EPSON scanner/ROMEO PRO 50

EricGuillory at aol.com EricGuillory at aol.com
Fri Sep 23 20:43:11 UTC 2011

Hi Joanne,
Firstly, if you are using a Romeo, get ready to go through plenty of
paper, as it is a single-sided embosser and thus cannot emboss on both sides of
a sheet of paper as can a Juliet or other product. But, then again, it is
certainly better than having nothing at all.
I'm afraid there are no quick and easy steps. Hopefully, you have access
to optical character recognition (OCR) software (i.e., Kurzweil, OpenBook,
OmniPage) for recognizing the scanned materials and converting them to text.
As  with any OCR solution, some cleanup (e.g., running a spell check,
looking for  text that is improperly tabbed/spaced) will be necessary.
Once the document is cleaned up and saved in an appropriate format such  as
an MS Word Document or text file, you can use a braille translation program
 such as the Duxbury Braille Translator (DBT) to open and convert it to
braille.  Of course, you have to specify your embosser type and such, and I
will be happy  to discuss this with you in greater detail off-list.
Happy embossing. I know this is a very generalized message, but, given
that I don’t know what programs you are dealing with specifically, that is all
the insight I can provide at present.
Eric Guillory
PIBE President

In a message dated 9/23/2011 3:29:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time,