[Pibe-division] iPads in the Classroom

DrV pumpkinracer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 00:17:48 UTC 2012

Happy New Year All,

If any of your braille-reading students have started to use iPads in the
classroom I would love to hear anything you can share.

Are iPads being used more stand-alone or paired to a BrailleNote-type
device?

Our district has started an iPad pilot - which is being enthusiastically
embraced by students & teachers alike - thus the district is definitely
moving in that direction – full steam ahead with iPads.

Interestingly a number of local school districts in LA County are now
expressing interest in also incorporating iPads to their curriculums & are
setting up appointments to visit our district as they too are likely to
move in that direction.

The following is a district webpage with links to apps being used in our
district's classrooms & a few video links etc:
www.mbusd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=145962&type=d&termREC_ID=&pREC_ID=280906
-
then click on the apps button, video button, etc

My kids are not part of the pilot yet, but will be using them next year, so
I would really love some experience-based feedback & any advice that might
help get us through the first phases of the learning curve.

Feel free to respond to me directly or the group as a whole.

Thanks

Eric V