[Pibe-division] reconmmendations read how cvi diagnosed in children that have autism or other multiple disabilities

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 18:33:40 UTC 2012

Hello Colleagues:

Can any teacher of the blind and visually impaired recommend books and articles that I may read to understand how cortical visual impairment is diagnosed as a child's visual impairment and how the diagnosis is made or ruled out if a student has an additional disability of autism? I have been teaching a student who has autism with a visual impairment that was reported to be as exotropia. Since my local cse wants updated eye reports on all my students who have additional disabilities I've been assisting he parents of  this student to get an ophthalmologist to evaluate the student. One optometrist noted that the child might need glasses. I then went with the child and parents to another ophthalmologist to determine if the student had a visual impairment. The ophthalmologist indicated that the child could see both near and far objects with different characteristics although it was reported by parents that the student tends not to look at items unless the student is prompted to do so. I have another ophthalmologist appointment to get a visual diagnosis and an accurate visual acuity. From speaking to the office staff the ophthalmologist will be able to decide if the student has cortical visual impairment or another visual diagnosis and hopefully get me a visual acuity. . Until this appointment,which is on January 30, 2012. that is next week Monday afternoon,  how can I understand how cortical visual impairment is determined in children particularly children with multiple disabilities who are nonverbal. The parents are extremely involved in the child's education and have been pleased that the child is learning to use the picture exchange system I created to teach the child how to request a particular food. The student can be told to look at the picture of the food; the child will look at the picture and will hand the picture to me and then get the requested food. Since the student can't sit for long, I developed a reward system, whereby if the child hands me the picture of the requested food and receives the food, upon 10 times repeating the procedure the child is allowed to go for a short walk. I have been the only teacher who has been able to teach this student and have seen significant progress. Many other related service providers that teach the child are at a loss how to teach this student particularly speech therapists. Since the student is nonverbal, I notice since the student can't express needs and emotions that the student cries a lot if the student is forced to do something the student may not understand. When I went with the parents to both appointments, I noticed how the parents were patient with the child and how the child felt at ease in my presence. For instance, while traveling to one appointment. The child was open to me presenting in my hand a piece of cereal and was able to take it from my hand which the child ate  and didn't cry during the whole time I was assisting the child to eat.

Thanks for any recommendations of reading material about cortical visual impairment and how it is diagnosed in children with multiple disabilities. Since I am blind,  I would appreciate recommendations that I can read using my screen reader Jaws for Windows and my Braille display that is attached to my computer.

Sara Rooz

Certified Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired in New York

Independent Related Service Provider Vision Education Services in New York City

Email: sararooz at gmail.com