[Pibe-division] reP ti training

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sun Jul 29 22:12:22 UTC 2012

In many statess you do not need any type of education degree before
obtaining your certification in TVI.  In Ohio and PA no education
degree is required before obtaining your certification and license.
Many schools will pay for at least half of your education to become a
TVI or CVRT (certified vision rehabilitation therapist) formerly
rehabilitation teacher.  I would seriously reconsider becoming a
rehabilitation counselor.  Many states are cutting the number of
rehabilitation counselors and people who do the job are primarily
paper pushers.  If you want to work directly with people who are blind
and visually impaired I would look into becoming a TVI, CVRT or O&M.

Do you have to attend all of the classes in the Louisiana program or
are some of them offered online?

I have been a TVI for three years and am now becoming self-employed.
School districts and coops are not willing to provide transportation
assistance at this point so if you can't drive finding a job as a TVI
may be more challenging.  I encourage you to go for it though.