[Pibe-division] Blind Surfer Video & Encouraging Kids to Enjoy Fun & Fitness Activities

DrV pumpkinracer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 20:43:39 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I’d like to pass on this link to a cool video of a young blind surfer that
was forwarded to me by a parent on the blindkid listserv: check it out:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R8zp8WfqXg&feature=share%3Ehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R8zp8WfqXg&feature=share
.

This emphasizes how critical it is to not be limited by preconceptions of
what is & is not possible.

It's important to find time & ways for low-vision & blind kids to have
opportunities to engage in the full spectrum of age-appropriate sports,
fitness, & recreational activities experiences their peers are doing.

We participated in a Ski-A-Thon this last weekend in Big Bear, CA. Our
boys, now 11y & 15y, took adaptive ski lessons. By the afternoon both were
taking longer runs (about 1Ž2 way up the mountain) & got to ski for about
10 minutes per run - no longer holding on to poles, no straps, but skiing
on their own with an adaptive ski instructor either skiing next to them or
in front of them to guide them by voice. It was a truly awesome experience
for all :-)

Sincerely,

Eric

PS: For those interested, here is also a link to an article I wrote a while
back on the benefits of encouraging kids to partake in sports, fitness, &
recreational activities: “Tandem Surfboarding Brothers” (
www.nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/bm/bm11/bm1111/bm111108.htm).