[Pibe-division] Teaching Braille to a Teenager

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Fri Nov 16 22:49:49 UTC 2012

Hello Pauline,
It appears that I do almost exactly the same as Gail does. Especially with older students I use the Mangold Program of Tactile Discrimination. It has exercises to develop all the skills of braille reading. Also, it includes graphing student progress as an integral part of the program and I have found that this is a crucial motivational portion of the process. Students really enjoy seeing how they’re improving as they personally move the markers on the graph paper. There is a letter and number program and they are available from Exceptional Teaching aids.
www.exceptionalteaching.net
Manuals are available in both print and braille.

Like Gail, as soon as the students have mastered enough letters, I begin brailing sentences and little stories, sometimes jokes and riddles, for the student to read. I introduce contracted braille from the start and the student is able to read meaningful sentences from quite early in the learning process.

As well as the Go Fish game, I also play a Categories game where I braille lots of words on cards using the contractions. Then, we have three cards in our hand and we have a pick up and discard pile. Players can lay down three or more cards if the words are associated in a category. The student must explain the association first. For example, pen, ten, men and pencil could be laid down as a category of things found in a school. Hen, garden, pen and wren could be the category of things found on a farm. Obviously, categories can be fairly loose.
Hope this is helpful.
Warmly,
Heather