[Pibe-division] Fw: The Lighthouse for the Blind Employment Opportunities

Edward Bell ebell at latech.edu
Tue Sep 18 13:18:15 UTC 2012

The Lighthouse for the Blind in New Orleans, Inc.                           JOB DESCRIPTION

123 State Street                                                                                            Job Category:  2

New Orleans, LA  70118                                                                              Indirect Labor / Non-Exempt

Job Title:        VI Teacher II                                                               Revised:         July 20, 2012

Department:   Vision Rehab Services, Youth Services                 Prepared by:  Jenice D. Heck, LOTR

Reports to:     Director of Vision Rehab Services                                                 and Ann Butcher

Approved by: ____________________________________

JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:

  1.. Report to VI Teacher I, who will coordinate VI Services for children in a variety of school districts.
  2.. Develop a strong working relationship with key staff of the public, charter, and recovery schools in the Greater New Orleans area.
  3.. Work closely with parents of visually impaired students and advocate for services in the school system.
  4.. Assist VI teachers and other educators in developing comprehensive Individual Education Plans.
  5.. Provide support to teachers within the schools who may need additional training or assistance to follow through with IEP recommendations.
  6.. Provide tutoring to students in Nemeth-code, Braille, assistive technology, and other academic subjects, as needed for them to excel.
  7.. Develop and implement activities for Youth programs that will enhance academic success (e.g., social skills, team-work, career exploration, goal setting, note-taking, etc.) among visually impaired adolescents.
  8.. Working closely with all Youth staff, develop and coordinate adolescent youth programs at the Lighthouse, in the school systems, and with collaborative agencies.
  9.. Follow procedures for documentation and invoicing as needed to track student attendance, progress, and funding as required.
  10.. Initiate contact with area schools to promote youth services and educate administrators on the role of VI Teachers in supporting children with vision impairment in a academic settings.
  11.. Participate in outreach programs to educate the community on Lighthouse services and adaptations for the blind and visually impaired.
  12.. Other duties as assigned by the Director of Vision Rehab Services, Youth Coordinator, and VP of Services.

JOB QUALIFICATIONS:

1.      Education:  Certified Teacher for the Visually Impaired or in process of obtaining certification.

2.      Special Knowledge/Skills:  Proficiency with Braille, Orientation & Mobility, computer technology for the blind (including JAWS, ZoomText/Magic, Open Book, etc.); excellent written and verbal communications; proficient in use of Internet, email, and standard software applications (i.e. Microsoft Word and PowerPoint); proficiency with Nemeth code Braille and methods of teaching math to blind students.

3.      Experience:  at least 2 years experience working with visually impaired adolescents strongly preferred.

4.      Supervisory Responsibilities:  Periodically supervise volunteers when needed.

5.      Physical:  Good physical health; able to travel independently and supervise field trips with children.

6.      Personality:  Well-spoken, personable, patient, well organized, punctual, creative, dependable, able to motivate others, enthusiastic, independent, adaptive, confident, positive thinker, flexible.

7.      Working Conditions:  Various classroom settings throughout school district; weekend and/or after school indoors and in field settings; occasional outdoor activities with youth; must be able to travel to multiple locations independently.

8.      Work Schedule:  30 - 40 hours per week depending on caseload; occasional Saturday activities with youth.

9.      Background Check and Drug Testing Required: Employment is contingent upon satisfactory results.

This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed.  The incumbent in this position will perform such other tasks as may be required for the effective operation of the Division/Department upon request by his/her supervisor.

Accomplishments in these areas of responsibility will be the basis of the employee's evaluation, continuation of employment and change in compensation.

Sign below if you meet the qualifications specified in this job description.

Signature: X                                                                           Date:

The Lighthouse for the Blind is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.

Edward C. Bell, Ph.D., CRC, NOMC

REGISTER TO TAKE THE NATIONAL CERTIFICATION IN LITERARY BRAILLE (NCLB) Exam
http://www.nbpcb.org/pages/announcements.php

Director, Professional Development and Research
Institute on Blindness
Louisiana Tech University
210 Woodard Hall
PO Box 3158
Ruston LA  71272
Office: 318.257.4554
Fax: 318.257.2259 (Fax)
Skype: edwardbell2010
ebell at latech.edu
www.latech.edu/instituteonblindness
********************
"I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops."
-- Stephen Jay Gould
That is great news! Attached is the information. Anyone who is interested can contact directly via phone or email.

Have a wonderful week!!

Terri J. Brown
Human Resources Manager
The Lighthouse for the Blind in New Orleans, Inc.
123 State Street
New Orleans, LA 70118
Phone: 504-899-4501 ext. 229
Fax: 504-895-4162

www.lhb.org
              'Where Vision Does Not Require Sight'

The contents of this message are legally privileged and/or confidential. The information is intended only for use of the intended recipient. If this message is received in error, please destroy it without reading and notify the sender immediately. This message should not be forwarded or distributed without the permission of the author.