[Pibe-division] Spanish-English dictionary

DrV pumpkinracer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 06:05:45 UTC 2012

Hi Michele & All,

Here is my 3-part answer: 1) a comment/suggestion, 2) a potential solution,
3) a concrete solution.

1. I too have asked several times in the past about an Oxford-like Spanish
Dictionary for the BrailleNote. There is none. I spoke to someone at
Humanware Tech support one time who explained that it was not a priority,
but the individual shared that if there is enough interest that is
vocalized, the company then listens. There are so many students &
Spanish-speaking individuals in the US & around the world that could
benefit from an Oxford-like Spanish Dictionary for the BrailleNote. Someone
with a vested interest needs to mobilize an email campaign to Humanware's
Tech support that would overwhelmingly demonstrate an interest & need. If
you know anyone who wants to take that on, let me know & will be happy to
contribute towards spreading the word.

2. While I have not tried it yet, there are a number of Spanish
dictionaries as iBooks - we'll probably explore that this upcoming year.
The drawback I see with iBooks is that while English VoiceOver does a nice
job with English, it does a poor job with Spanish pronunciation & vv.
Reading it on a Braille display should however be fine. (If anyone already
has, I'd love to hear about your experience & with the ease/quirks of
searching for specific words.)

I am ever hopeful & have tried/purchased a number of iPhone translation
Apps for both Spanish & Lithuanian - they are very basic & can be useful at
times, but honestly, I have not found one that is really high quality.

3. Lastly & concretely, we have electronic Spanish-English,
English-Spanish, & Spanish dictionaries that work on the BrailleNote that
we could share with you. They are files of older-edition dictionaries that
a native Spanish speaker in the NFB was kind enough to share with us a few
years back. Bookshare has very strict criteria for posting books, & while
very functional, these files did not quite meet the rigorous Bookshare
guidelines. My elder son Vejas who is now in his 4th year of Spanish has
found these very helpful. He has figured out some tricks to efficiently
search for the desired word. I spoke with him today & he will put tougher a
paragraph in the next few days explaining how to search. If you are
interested, write me directly off list-serve & we can figure out a way to
share the files for your student’s personal use.

Best wishes,

EricV