[Pibe-division] Braille to Low Vision?

I. C. Bray i.c.bray at win.net
Mon Oct 21 08:22:05 UTC 2013

Greetings,
I have a couple of questions regarding Braille and O&M education in "Public"
schools and I E P's
I know of a youngster ( 14 ) who has still not been taught Braille past the
letter "K" and it has been about 10 months since they began.
This is a sharp individual, and I was wondering if it generally takes this
long?
Also, When do kids generally learn basic, non-school related O&M?
The same individual above has an instructor who has refused to put clearly
defined goals  on the child's
I e p with regard to O&M.
  This child still doesn't know how to properly use the cane.
Can someone tell me if it is wise or unwise to try to tutor the parent(s)
and student(s) in Braille and / or O&M even though I am not a certified
trainer or instructor.

Ian