[Pibe-division] The day I lost a child on the Tube | Teacher Network

Eric Guillory eguillory at louisianacenter.org
Wed Apr 30 17:15:41 UTC 2014

An LCB alum had this on his Twitter timeline, and it is a brilliant blog post from a British teacher-not a teacher of blind students, but his observations have far-reaching implications for our population and for the world at large. As a teenager in training, it was quite common for me to be given independent travel routes and told to use the skill sets I had learned, coupled with common sense, to exercise judgment and behave accordingly. Sadly, however, for many students, blind and sighted alike, this is no more. And, while I is detrimental for all kids, this is particularly so for blind students-for whom expectations are already horrendously low.

http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/teacher-blog/2012/apr/21/lost-child-on-tube

Eric Guillory, Director of Youth Services
Louisiana Center for the Blind
101 South Trenton Street
Ruston, LA 71270
Voice: 800-234-4166 (extension 3009)
Fax: 318-251-0109
Skype: brllovingdad

"Together, we are changing what it means to be blind."