[Pibe-division] TVI Training

Smith, Pauline L PSmith4 at dmc.org
Tue Feb 18 14:45:42 UTC 2014

Good Morning,

Thanks, Melissa for reminding us of the obstacles that are still too numerous in getting blind teachers hired even in the TVI field.  One thing that was and continues to be pointed out to me is that school districts are hesitant to hire someone that may need a driver that the district would possibly have to pay for.  The number of single school based programs continues to diminish nationwide.  That's the kind of job I prefer.  The stress of finding and keeping up with drivers was a discouraging factor in my pursuing itinerant jobs, particularly in areas outside my home base.  It can and is done by countless teachers.  However, I had the same experience Melissa had.  I had a hard time finding successful blind teachers to network with.  The one person I did find didn't keep in touch on a regular basis to be of much help.

Good luck to all those pursuing this profession.  Good teachers are sorely needed everywhere.

Pauline

P.S., Those of you who have quotes at the end of your emails, how do you find them?  How do you incorporate them into your messages?