[Pibe-division] TVI Training

Cortney osolinski cortney.o at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 03:56:19 UTC 2014

Hi Mikayla,
I too, do not usually post to this list but being as you mentioned The
College of NJ as a potential candidate for getting TVI training, I
felt compelled to offer my experiences. I am a former graduate from
their master's program.
I was one of 3 other students participating in the program, and got
the sense that the program itself was being developed as we worked our
way through the courses. There were several instances where I was
required to take classes which I had already taken at my undergraduate
college, as well as classes completely unrelated to the TBVI or even
special education field. I found that Very few of the classes provided
as part of the program were helpful to me in preparing or teaching me
anything useful for entering into a career as a TBVI. I further was
not provided accommodations from the Disabilities service at the
college and was forced to commute at least six hours three  days a
week from Atlantic County by paratransit to attend classes because the
college would not offer me campus housing. Furthermore, one professor
working in the program was exceptionally rude and clearly did not hold
a positive attitude towards the abilities of people who are blind or
VI, and I was forced to take a year leave because the director of
student teaching placement was unable to place me with a student for
my practicum, resulting in me losing financial aid.
I suggest you consider all the other options carefully, if I were
given the chance to do it over again, I would have attended a
different college myself. But, it has been several months since my
graduation, perhaps things have changed for the better, I certainly
would not want anyone else to experience what I had when I attended
there.
Good luck in your search, and if you'd like any further information
about my experiences, please e/mail me.
Cortney O.