[Pibe-division] SAT Prep Class district support

Vejas via Pibe-division pibe-division at nfbnet.org
Sat May 17 22:14:32 UTC 2014

Hi All,
  I am a junior in high school & am taking the SAT in 3 weeks,
and to help me
get ready, I have opted to take an SAT Prep Class.
  - Our local VI program has chosen to view the SAT Prep Class as
"extracurricular" & as such is unwilling to provide me with
transcriber
support.
  I am wondering how you approach such situations with your high
school
students.
  - How did you get Prep Class materials in an accessible format
for your
students?
  - Did the school or VI program help with the brailling of text
& embossing
of diagrams, or do your students need to hire readers and do it
verbally
(which is clearly not ideal since then there is a lost
opportunity for
hands on learning with the diagrams)?
  - Do your students end up needing to find a non-district
transcriber to
braille the test and emboss the diagrams?
  I would really appreciate your input & look forward to any
insights or
suggestions you might have.
  Sincerely,
  Vejas