[Pibe-division] Request for Comments: Use of Tablets In the Classroom

Oleg Shevkun via Pibe-division pibe-division at nfbnet.org
Tue May 20 14:06:15 UTC 2014

Hello listers,

My name is Oleg, and I am the executive editor of Radio VOS, the
official Internet radio station of the All-Russia Association of the
Blind (Http://www.radiovos.ru). We provide blindness-oriented
programming to Russian-speaking audience. It is one of our goals to be a
trustworthy resource for positive and authoritative information on all
issues affecting blind and visually impaired people, as well as to be a
forum for open and constructive discussion of these issues.

Currently, there is a group here in Russia coming up with an initiative
to integrate tablet computers into K12 education of blind and visually
impaired students. The initiative is now in its initial stage, with
experiments scheduled for the 2014-15 school year. We are working on a
30-minute program regarding this issue. It is my understanding that
tablets such as iPAD are already being used by blind students in K12
schools throughout the US. Hence, I'd like to do a short (5 minutes at
most) interview with someone who works in special education, and who
could talk to our listeners about the practical side of integrating
these devices into the school curriculum. Specifically, we would be
interested in the following:

- How common are tablets in the education of blind and visually impaired
students?
- In terms of organization, how do you implement these devices into the
curriculum? Specifically, is this initiative promoted by blindness
organizations? By educators? By agencies?
- How does the use of these devices relate to braille literacy?
- Does the use of tablets enhance the accessibility of textbooks? If so,
then how does it work specifically?
- Are tablets being used in tandem with other devices, such as external
keyboards or braille displays?
- What are the challenges to using these devices in school settings?

Actually, we are on a pretty tight schedule. So, I'd really appreciate
it if we could record an interview (or, for that matter, several
interviews) on this subject within the next couple of days. So, if you
are an expert and you are ready to talk to us, please drop me a note at
OShevkun at RadioVOS.Ru. Alternatively, if you are not an expert, but you
know someone else who would be qualified to discuss these issues, I'd
appreciate it if you could pass this email to those people.

We could do the interview on Skype or by phone at your convenience (but
please keep in mind that there is a time difference). Of course, the
interview will be all in English, and we will then record voice-over
interpretation.

Thank you for your assistance, and I am really looking forward to
hearing from you!

Sincerely,
Oleg Shevkun,
Executive Editor,