[Pibe-division] One-time, Online Course: Unified English Braille for Teachers

Amanda Gough amanda.gough at xtra.co.nz
Wed Sep 9 05:59:35 UTC 2015

There is also a UEB online course for sighted learners that is available
free of charge through RIDBC Renwick Centre in Australia.  It has 30 lessons
and covers the full UEB code including formatting and work with numbers.
Braille input is through the qwerty keyboard using 6 key input (much like
Perky Duck).

I took this course myself last year, and was very impressed with it.
Feedback is immediate, as it won't let you move on if you have made errors.

If you want to get the two certificates (one after lesson 15 and one at the
end), they charge AU$50 each.  Otherwise there is no charge.

Whilst I took this as a seasoned 'old' braille reader, I have colleagues who
have come in as beginning braille readers, and they too are finding it to be
a worthwhile course.

To get to the course, visit www.uebonline.org.

I'd be very interested to know what Americans think of it. (I am in New
Zealand).

Kind regards

Amanda