[Pibe-division] Taking a Pearson Test

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Tue Sep 15 13:48:43 UTC 2015

Also, you and your son might consider filing a complaint against
Pearson.  Sadly, it will take something like that to get their
attention.  I recently learned they are an England based company.

I am sure Austrailia has been a great experience for your family.
Keep showing your son how to be an advocate.  He will need that skill
set for the rest of his life.

On 9/15/15, Sarah Thomas via Pibe-division <pibe-division at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Marianne, you make a good point about the reader.  Currently we live in
> Australia but will be back in Texas by year end.  We will take up this
> matter with his rehab counselor and see where it goes.  In the meantime
> David is going to try to get the materials in an accessible format from the
> training material company—at least let them know that the materials are not
> accessible and should be.  We talked about contacting the Microsoft
> accessibility team and letting them know that they are recommending test
> materials that aren’t accessible.  I don’t imagine it has ever occurred to
> them.  I will help him study so that he can keep making progress but
> hopefully this need will change in the future.  David will have to take a
> lot of these certification exams so we will keep pushing.
>
> Sally
>> On Sep 15, 2015, at 6:43 PM, Marianne Denning via Pibe-division
>> <pibe-division at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> Sally, I am so sorry you must be his designated study tool.  First,
>> does he have an open case with the state department of vocational
>> rehabilitation services?  If so, they should hire a reader for him.
>> There are many reasons this would be a better idea than you being his
>> reader.  He needs to learn to use readers, he needs to have good
>> advocacy skills, and he would learn good life skills from the
>> experience.
>>
>> Don't even get me started on the lack of accessibility I have
>> experienced with Pearson.  The sad fact is that Pearson is absolutely
>> huge and they need to be forced into becoming accessible.
>>
>> On 9/15/15, Sarah Thomas via Pibe-division <pibe-division at nfbnet.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I said I’d report back after my son took his Microsoft Server 2012 r2
>>> exam.
>>> I’m happy to report that the testing experience went relatively smoothly.
>>> Pearson hired a reader who arrived on time and was very professional.  My
>>> son tells me that the reader did a very good job and was easy to work
>>> with
>>> (grammar apologies).  The people at the testing facility were polite and
>>> helpful.  The exam was a bear.  Turns out that there were a few gaps in
>>> David’s knowledge so he did not pass this time.  It is interesting to
>>> note
>>> that you can get this test with a “free” retake so that is the next order
>>> of
>>> business.  Seems that retakes are a common occurrence with this exam.
>>> Hopefully it will take way less than the 6 months it took to schedule the
>>> exam the first time.
>>>
>>> David tried to take this exam without purchasing the online testing
>>> packages.  This isn’t a good strategy since the questions have a style
>>> that
>>> bears learning before taking the test.  It’s like the SAT or CPA exam—you
>>> may know a lot about the subject but the way it is presented in the exam
> [...]
>>> challenging.  Unfortunately the online materials are not accessible.  I