[Pibe-division] The term, pre-Braille

amanda.gough at xtra.co.nz amanda.gough at xtra.co.nz
Tue Dec 20 00:59:38 UTC 2016

I agree with all Carlton has said, however, I don’t actually like the term “pre-reading” whether it is being applied to braille or print.  To me, it’s all a part of reading. The earliest reading skills (such as recognizing letters, understanding that strings of letters, separated by gaps, signify words, and carry a message, working left-to-right etc.) are still a part of reading.

We expose sighted kids to print from the moment they are born. They certainly can’t read it to start with, but it is a part of their world.

The important thing here for me, is that we also expose blind babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers to braille, and we have to be pro-active in doing so.  Unless they are fortunate enough to be born into a home where there are other braille users, braille will not naturally be there in the same way that print is. I believe in sticking braille label everywhere – on drawers, cupboards, toys, food packages, and of course in all their books. They won’t understand it either, but they can’t help but accept it if it is just a natural part of their world.

The fine motor skills often labeled “pre-braille” are important skills for developing fluent and appropriate braille reading techniques, but we definitely don’t need to delay the introduction of braille until a child has mastered them. We don’t wait until a child has mastered a proper pen grip before we allow them to scribble in a colouring book, and to me, the same principle applies.
When we teach things like tracking activities, I believe in using braille.  A line of braille dots is just as effective as a piece of string stuck in a book.

At the same time, we need to be understanding of parents who have had no previous exposure to blindness and somehow, the thought of their baby becoming a braille reader is a very definitive  symbol that their child is different.  Many parents go through something of a grieving process. We can try and help them through this by getting them together with others who have walked a similar journey, and those older blind children and adults who are living happy and successful lives, but that doesn’t mean they will be immediately open to accepting that braille will play a role in their child’s future.  Each case is different.  I do believe, that if we go in with a positive view about braille ourselves, it will be a lot easier in the end.

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season.  Don’t forget to share the story of Louis the Blind Christmas Elf with your students 😊.

Take care

Amanda Gough
RTV, Whanganui, New Zealand