[Pibe-division] STAR testing alternative for Braille readers?

Albert Rizzi Albert at Myblindspot.org
Tue Sep 6 19:08:10 UTC 2016

According to the statement as posted, they are without a doubt in violation of the ADA and the Rehab Act.

From: PIBE-Division [mailto:pibe-division-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Amy_Brush--- via PIBE-Division
Sent: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 3:06 PM
To: nfb group <pibe-division at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Amy_Brush at caboces.org
Subject: Re: [Pibe-division] STAR testing alternative for Braille readers?

I had explained to them that she uses online technology but the link they sent me expressly states the following:

Computer-adaptive tests including the STAR Enterprise assessments are not appropriate for blind students because the student completing the test must be able to read the text visually; the Braille format is not compatible with computer-adaptive testing. To take a STAR Early Literacy or STAR Reading assessment, a student must be able to respond to on-screen prompts that assess the ability to read print-based text. STAR Math also requires that a student respond to visual representations of mathematics symbols and notations. Educators working with a student with a visual impairment are encouraged to evaluate the suitability of STAR for that particular student and decide on an appropriate course of action.
Each item in star testing prompts/predicts the next item, so downloading and creating a test each month is not possible.

Thanks for your input.  Amy