[Pibe-division] 2017 Blind Educator Award

Edward Bell ebell at pdrib.com
Wed Mar 22 14:55:04 UTC 2017

The 2017 Blind Educator of the Year Award

            A number of years ago the Blind Educator of the Year Award was
established by the National Organization of Blind Educators (the educators
division of the National Federation of the Blind) to pay tribute to a blind
teacher whose exceptional classroom performance, notable community service,
and uncommon commitment to the NFB merit national recognition. Beginning
with the 1991 presentation, this award became an honor bestowed by our
entire movement. The change reflects our recognition of the importance of
good teaching and the impact an outstanding blind teacher has on students,
faculty, community, and all blind Americans.

            This award is presented in the spirit of the outstanding
educators who founded and have continued to nurture the National Federation
of the Blind and who, by example, have imparted knowledge of our strengths
to us and raised our expectations. We have learned from Dr. Jacobus
tenBroek, Dr. Kenneth Jernigan, and Immediate Past President Marc Maurer
that a teacher not only provides a student with information but also
provides guidance, advocacy, and love. The recipient of the Blind Educator
of the Year Award must exhibit all of these traits and must advance the
cause of blind people in the spirit and philosophy of the National
Federation of the Blind.

            The Blind Educator of the Year Award is presented at the annual
convention of the National Federation of the Blind. Honorees must be present
to receive an appropriately inscribed plaque and a check for $1,000.

            Nominations should be sent to Dr. Edward Bell, Director, PDRIB,
via email to  <mailto:ebell at latech.edu> ebell at latech.edu, or post mail to
PDRIB, 1500 W. Barnett Springs Ave, Ruston, LA 71270. Letters of nomination
must be accompanied by a copy of the nominee's current résumé and supporting
documentation of community and Federation activity. All nomination materials
must be in the hands of the committee chairman by May 1, 2017, to be
considered for this year's award. For further information contact Edward
Bell at (318) 257-4554, or <ebell at latech.edu>.

Edward C. Bell, Ph.D., CRC, NOMC

Director, Professional Development and Research

Institute on Blindness

Louisiana Tech University

210 Woodard Hall

PO Box 3158

Ruston LA 71272

Office: 318.257.4554                      Fax: 318.257.2259 (Fax)
Skype: edwardbell2010

 <mailto:ebell at latech.edu> ebell at latech.edu
<http://www.pdrib.com> www.pdrib.com

"I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops."

-- Stephen Jay Gould