[Pibe-division] Job Announcement: Director Louisiana School for the Visually Impaired

Edward Bell ebell at pdrib.com
Mon Mar 27 15:16:58 UTC 2017

Position Announcement:  Director, Louisiana School for the Visually Impaired

LOCATION:     Louisiana School for the Visually Impaired - Baton Rouge,
Louisiana

The Louisiana School for the Visually Impaired (LSVI) is seeking qualified
candidates for the position of Director of the Louisiana School for the
Visually Impaired (LSVI).

LSVI is located on a 122 acre campus in Baton Rouge, LA, adjacent to the
Louisiana State University (LSU) main campus, and shares the campus with the
Louisiana School for the Deaf (LSD).  The School is part of the Louisiana
Special Schools District which is governed by the Superintendent, Special
School District.  The Director, LSVI reports to the Superintendent,
Louisiana Special Schools (LSS).

LSVI currently has an enrollment of approximately 69 students.  These
include academically oriented students, students with vocational and career
preferences, and students with significant disabilities in addition to their
vision loss.  Approximately half of the students live at the School in a
residential setting during the week.  The campus is equipped with extensive
and up-to-date education technology.  LSVI is also responsible for providing
resources and technical assistance statewide.  The LSVI staff consists of 84
dedicated full and part-time employees.  Administrative and support services
such as security, maintenance, fiscal management and dining services are
supervised by the Superintendent, LSS thus allowing the LSVI Director to
focus on educational leadership.

The function of LSVI is to educate blind/visually impaired students.  The
total environment of the school, including both classroom activities and the
extended day programs, facilitates accomplishment of the goals of the
Individualized Education Program (IEP) for each child.  LSVI offers a broad
spectrum of educational services from college-bound programs to daily living
skills and socialization training and activities.  LSVI is seeking a leader
who can build upon this strong foundation and maintain a positive school
climate and culture.

LSVI, the Special School District, and the school community are all seeking
an experienced educator of visually impaired children with a strong
commitment to the school, its future and the advancement of the education of
visually impaired children throughout the state.  Furthermore, the school
community is seeking someone who communicates clearly with all stakeholders
and stakeholder groups and a leader who personally and professionally values
the involvement of the Blind Community in the life of the school and
recognizes the value of Braille as a critical aspect of the education of
visually impaired students.

REPORTS TO:              Superintendent, Louisiana Special Schools

MINIMUM

QUALIFICATIONS:      To be considered, individuals must possess a minimum of
a Master's

Degree with a background and experience in education of the visually
impaired and in school administration and supervision.  An applicant must
meet certification requirements of the State of Louisiana in education of
the visually impaired and must possess or be eligible for the Educational
Leader Certificate Level 2 or its equivalent and must have at least three
(3) years of successful experience as a school administrator. Supervisory or
administrative experience at a residential school for the visually impaired
is preferred.

Applicants must possess human relations and management skills with which to
develop and maintain a cohesive common purpose faculty and staff and to
direct the functions of subordinates.  Preference will be given to
applicants who are proficient in the use of Braille; others must be willing
to acquire such skill.

Salary:                         Dependent on education and experience with
full benefits including membership in a Louisiana State retirement system
plus the options of medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.

DEADLINE

TO APPLY:                  April 30, 2017

APPLICATION

PROCEDURE:              Applications are located at
www.civilservice.louisiana.gov <http://www.civilservice.louisiana.gov>
under the "Job Seekers" tab.

After applying on the Civil Service website, you may send any additional
information including letters of recommendation to:

                                    Julie H. Alcorn

                                    Director of Human Resources

                                    LA Schools for the Deaf and Visually
Impaired

                                    P. O. Box 3074

                                    Baton Rouge, LA  70821-3074

Edward C. Bell, Ph.D., CRC, NOMC

Director, Professional Development and Research

Institute on Blindness

Louisiana Tech University

210 Woodard Hall

PO Box 3158

Ruston LA 71272

Office: 318.257.4554                      Fax: 318.257.2259 (Fax)
Skype: edwardbell2010

ebell at latech.edu <mailto:ebell at latech.edu>
<http://www.pdrib.com> www.pdrib.com

"I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops."

-- Stephen Jay Gould