[Promotion-technology] reading CDs using new NLS digital player

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Thu Dec 31 20:34:42 UTC 2009

Last week I got my new digital player and a book, the 25th annual Best SF of the Year edited by Gardner Dozois. The book is 44  hours and I am about half done, as a guess. I play it about 70% faster than recorded. I read the insttructions, which are not very detailed, and wonder if it is possible to tell how far thru the book I am? On my BookPort when I hit "#8" it tells me what percentage I have finished.

But the main reason for this posting...I need more detailed instructions on how to copy CDs onto a USB-Flash-Card which I can plug into the side of the reader.

Today I bought a 2 gig flashCard at WallMart for $10. I got for Christmas a book about C.S. Lewis (The Narnian) on 9 commercial CDs. I have never "ripped" a CD and need to know how. What format does the NLS digital reader require? And to play it, do I just plug it into the side plug, remove the TB cartridge, and hit "play"?

Can I have more than one item on a flashcard/thumbdirive?

Finally, next week I will start to get AMERICA magazine from the Xavier Society on MP-3 CDs. How do I put these on a flash card?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ed Meskys