[Promotion-technology] Fwd: Article from MinneapolisStar-Tribune Science And Technology 2010 07 02

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 7 16:39:13 UTC 2010

Hello William.  The statistics you cite should be reversed, but
the question is not which issues we should tackle, but to
acknowledge that all are tied together.  Many a small business
resides where there is no public transportation.  Many jobs have
work hours which demand flexibility a public transportation
system cannot accommodate.  These are problems being able to
drive ourselves would help to solve, but our blind driver
challenge is a priority because we want better to understand how
to do more jobs, take better advantage of our remaining senses,
and to figure out a way to harness technologies which now require
vision to serve those of us who don't have it.

Just a perspective to add to your thoughtful consideration of
what we do.

Warmly,

Gary

Promotion<promotion-technology at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 01:42:58 -0700 (PDT)
>Subject: Re: [Promotion-technology] Fwd: Article from
MinneapolisStar-Tribune Science And Technology 2010 07 02

>Driving a car?
>Really!
>Now, let us imagine the reversed statistics of an 80% employment
rate, a 20% unemployment rate and a 90% literacy rate.  Let us
“drive” home the point of good education, job training, and a
competitive edge for blind and partially sighted individuals
making us more marketable in this society.  As a blind person, I
am open to innovation and new ideas; however, I strongly believe
that more pressing issues exist that need to be solved first.

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/promotion-technology_nfbnet
org/william.odonnell1%40yahoo.com