[Promotion-technology] Portable enlargers for handwriting

Drenth, Joe Joe.Drenth at JBTC.COM
Wed Jun 2 12:37:16 UTC 2010

Hi Mari,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I looked online and found a wide variety of
Eschenbach magnifiers.  Can you describe yours more -- such as if they
are handheld round magnifiers or the spectacle type, etc -- and if you
know the model name or number, that would be very helpful in figuring
out which of their many options work in our situation.

Thanks again for the idea!

Sincerely,
Joe

Joseph Drenth
R&D Software Engineer
E: joe.drenth at jbtc.com | P: 215 822 4457

-----Original Message-----
From: promotion-technology-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:promotion-technology-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Mari
Hunziker
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 5:28 PM
To: Committee on the Promotion, Evaluation and Advancement of Technology
Subject: Re: [Promotion-technology] Portable enlargers for handwriting

Hello Joe,

I totally and completely feel your pain. I love signing paperwork when
at home and under the magnification of my CCTV. I too, have a PICO and
take it everywhere. It however, does not work for me either when needing
to fill out a check or sign a receipt. I now use a 7x and a 10x
magnifier by Eschenback.
I use the 10x to locate the line or x on the receipt. It is stronger and
easier to read with. I use the 7x to do the actual signing because it is
not as strong and I can still see well enough to write with it. It is
somewhat difficult in that it requires me to put my head really close to
the magnifier and the paper. But it is clear, in focus and so much
faster than trying to use the PICO.
Good luck,
Mari Hunziker
Austin TX.

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Drenth, Joe <Joe.Drenth at jbtc.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> Does anyone know of a handheld or small, one-piece, portable enlarger
> that has at least 7x magnification and which is capable of  enlarging
> while you write with a pen or pencil under its view?   Anything that
> takes assembly or set-up to use, or which requires its own laptop-like

> case to carry is too big.  I am  particularly interested in being able

> to read and sign receipts in restaurants and stores and to be able to
> sign paperwork at work when I am not near my CCTV.
>

> I've been using a PICO for about two years for reading things that do
> not fit under my CCTV or to read things away from home, but even
> though the product information claims you can write under it, you have

> to either hold it at an angle - in which case it does not focus
> correctly - or you have to hold it high above the paper - in which
> case it either does not focus or the magnification is not enough for
> me to figure out if the pen tip is in the right spot.  I've gotten
> frustrated trying to use it to sign a receipt at a restaurant.
>

> I would appreciate any knowledge or experience anyone has to offer.
>

> Thank you very much,
>
> Joe
>

> Joseph Drenth
> R&D Software Engineer