[Promotion-technology] I-Phone 4

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Apr 20 01:42:45 UTC 2011

Linda:

Check out the following two websites:

<http://www.AllWithMyiPhone.com>

And

<http://www.applevis.com>

The former has podcasts about various iPhone apps, most of which are quite
accessible.  The latter has comments on various accessible and inaccessible
iPhone apps as well as some hints and kinks for working with the iPhone.

Most apps for scanning and converting text aren't very useable by the blind
because there is no hint that the camera is properly oriented to the page.
In fact, there was a scanning app that came out a couple of days ago but it,
too, has problems for a totally-blind person in that it shows a view of the
page on the iPhone screen so someone with a bit of sight can center the
camera properly but a totally-blind person cannot.

In general, this is the problem with barcode scanning apps also although a
relatively new one, called DigitEyes, apparently works quite well.  I've
bought it but haven't used it much as it seems rather impractical to try to
scan store shelves with an iPhone when it's just as easy to ask a sighted
person for assistance (and much faster) and I can always label stuff for
myself when I get home.

Mike Freeman