[Promotion-technology] Looking For Potential Testers

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Thu Jun 15 19:05:39 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have been asked to circulate the below link. But first, some background.

Innovision, a company in India, is developing a low-cost braille display. Priced similarly to the Orbit reader 20, at somewhere between $300 and $500, they hope to be releasing a product soon.

Back in December, they asked on another email list about writing a braille display driver for NVDA. Apparently they've also been in touch with Google and Apple for the same thing, so it looks like they want wide support for their product. Anyway, at that time I started a dialog with Shyam Shah, the CEO of the company, being curious about these kinds of developments.

To make a long story interesting, last week, someone from a local university contacted me, saying she was assisting with development and testing of BrailleMe, the display in question, and would I be interested in testing a prototype. Of course I would, and so I got to spend about 45 minutes with what I later found out was the second prototype version.

Its rough edges definitely showed: there were dots that would stick (usually down), and a cells would not properly refresh if you had a finger on that particular cell, for example. It did have cursor routing buttons for each cell, and the refresh rate was very fast, certainly as fast, if not quite as reliable yet, as current displays. Naturally, any rough edges, I attribute to being a very early prototype, and I expect many of my concerns are being addressed in future hardware tweaks as Innovision nears actual production and manufacturing.

Anyway, Innovision is looking for individuals who would be interested in possibly testing the hardware, and also in giving them feedback and suggestions. If you're interested in this, please fill in the form at this link:
https://tinyurl.com/BrailleMe

Usual disclaimers: no financial interest, no endorsement, no lids, no kids, no space cadets, batteries not included, void where prohibited...

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Email: buddy at brannan.name