[Quietcars] Volvo avoidance of some pedestrian

Robert Wilson bwilson4web at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 31 16:02:59 UTC 2008

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the heads up on THE ECONOMIST article. I'll try to hunt it down over the holidays. In the meanwhile, Toyota has leaked some interesting video of the 3d generation Prius (3d generation to the USA, 4th in Japan.)

One section of the video clearly shows a camera lense facing forward in the gap between the rear view mirror and the top of the windshield. The back of the rear view mirror has the headlight detector sensor so we're sure this camera has an unknown purpose. This 3 minute video uses the mime 'Blue Man' group to investigate the new Prius so there is nothing in print but a lot of speculation. Regardless, we're expecting to learn more about the next model Prius at the Detroit Auto Show.

I still plan to attend the Wednesday, January 14, "Industry Day" events and see what is on the floor. I understand Fisher who spoke at the June 23 NHTSA hearing will bring one of their hybrids. I'll also visit Lotus, the other car company that submitted materials for the June 23 record.

One thing I'm expecting to see are a large number of vehicle systems addressing the Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007 (H.R. 1216) signed into law February 2008. Primarily addressing back-over accidents that crush and kill kids, I'm expecting to find backup cameras and possibly object detection systems becoming standard in just about all vehicles. Although, in one of the back-over accidents in the Chidester report, the rear object detection system had been turned off.

Chat at you later,
Bob Wilson

> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 06:11:51 -0800
> From: cclvi at yahoo.com
> To: quietcars at nfbnet.org
> Subject: Re: [Quietcars] Volvo avoidance of some pedestrian
>
> A key phrase in this presentation is, "straying out in
> front of the vehicle".  Neither time when I was hit by
> a vehicle I didn't hear, was I out in front" of it.  A
> very high percentage of pedestrian-vehicle conflicts
> occur when each is converging on the same place...
> either when a pedestrian like a small child darts out
> from behind a parked car, or, a jay-walker fails to
> notice the vehicle, or, as the vehicle is making a
> turn at an intersection and the driver misjudges the
> exact behavior of the pedestrian (expecting him to
> yield slightly by slowing slightly, or, to speed up
> slightly, due to awareness of the vehicle approaching
> from beside or behind him.)  A detailed report on the
> Volvo innovative technology, I think it was in a
> recent issue of THE ECONOMIST, acknowledged this
> limitation.  The hope is that a later generation of
> the radar will be able to 'spot' potential conflictts
> out toward the sides of the vehicle also.  That is, in
> my opinion, a daunting assignment, distinguishing
> among pedestrians with a variety of future intentions,
> and, inanimate objects near the trajectory of the
> vehicle.  For example, how will that Volvo know
> whether that entity at the edge of the crosswalk just
> ahead is an aware pedestrian, a carefully listening
> blind pedestrian, or, a lamp post?  Finally, I worry
> about unintended consequences too... such as drivers
> becoming too dependent on the technology instead of
> their own alertness and human judgments.
. . .