[Quietcars] Fwd: Crossing light rail tracks

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 20 15:51:48 UTC 2008

dEAR aLL,

i HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THIS KIND OF SITUATION WHERE i COULD NOT
HEAR AN APPROACHING TRAIN, EVEN A LIGHT RAIL ONE.
i SERVE ON SEVERAL TRANSPORTATION bOARDS AND cOMMITTEES THAT
OVERSEE THE OPERATIONS OF FIXED ROUTE BUS, pARA-TRANSIT, AND BOTH
LIGHT AND HEAVY RAIL SYSTEMS IN THE sOUTH fLORIDA AREA.
mOST ANYWHERE THERE IS A CROSSING, THERE IS PROTECTION WITH
LIGHTS, BELLS, HORNS AND EVEN THE PHYSICAL LOCATION.
it IS ALSO AGAINST THE LAW TO EVEN WALK ALONG THE TRACKS OR even
THE RIGHT OF WAY OF THE RAIL LINES where the heavy rail trackes
are at grade level.  Most all trains sound a warning, such as a
bell or horn when nearing a station or grade crossing which is in
addition to the claddering they make from their wheels on the
tracks and the sounds the air brakes make.  .
the LIGHT RAIL IS ELEVATED AND THERE ARE NO PLACES TO EVEN
physically CROSS THE RAILS accept AT THE TUNNELS AND BRIDGES WE
PROVIDE AT THE STATIONS.  This is done to keep people from
possibley coming in contact with the third rail.
If you have a light rail system that is that silent, I would be
surprized.
I think that we need to stay focused on the "Quiet Cars" and not
get sidetracked here.

David Evans, NFBF
<quietcars at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:21:29 -0600
>Subject: Re: [Quietcars] Fwd: Crossing light rail tracks

>In our discussions about quiet cars, we've often been careful to
refer to
>"quiet vehicles," to encompass trucks and buses as well.  If
light rail
>trains are truly silent, as silent as the cars we're concerned
about, then
>they *should* make a noise!  For generations bells have sounded
at railroad
>crossings to warn drivers and pedestrians that a train is
approaching.
>Pedestrians and drivers will need such warnings about light rail
trains too.

>In the meantime, blind travelers better study up on the train
schedules and
>hope the trains stick with them!

>Debbie

the
>> dangers posed by light rail trains at intersections, I'm curious
as to
>> how a cane user would make this crossing safely. I haven't been
to an NFB
>> training center, but would be curious as to the considered
opinion of
>> those centers on the best way to do this -- other than, of
course, for
>> the train to sound like a train and make some noise!

>> Many thanks in advance,
>> Corbb

>> -----
>> Corbb O'Connor
>> studying at the National University of Ireland, Galway

>> Begin forwarded message:

>> From: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com
>> Date: November 19, 2008 9:17:57 PM GMT
>> <nabs-l at nfbnet.org

>> Subject: [nabs-l] Crossing light rail tracks
>> <nabs-l at nfbnet.org

>> Hello all,

>> On December 27, the Phoenix area gets its first taste
(hopefully) of
>> light rail transit. The ads are already warning about the
quietness of
>> the trains and advising pedestrians to look both ways before
crossing.  My
>> question is this:  How do blind people cross the street when
there  are
>> tracks?

>> Ben

info for