[Quietcars] Morristown Accident, December 20, 2009

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Thu Dec 31 01:00:21 UTC 2009

Bob, thanks for sharing this article.  I offer the following as a personal
note.

I know the person who was hit by the car, and there are several factors
which are not in the story.  Bob, you answered the question that was on my
mind.  Was the car a hybrid?  No, because the Avenger does NOT come in such
trim. It has either a V6 3.5 liter engine or a four cylinder, if it's an
older one, both of which are extremely quiet at idle or lower speeds.

The person who was hit, around five p.m., was wearing darker clothing and
has a black lab Seeing eye dog.  She, as well as other Seeing Eye grads, and
I would assume most other schools encourage this as well, are encouraged to
wear light collared clothing when they're out, and also to use some sort of
light reflective vests, or light emitting bands or clip-ons when working in
dusk, or darkened conditions.  Cane travelers would be equally better seen
if they would do so as well.  Sometimes, we blind think that just because
we're out there, someone sees us.  And, the fact is, whether the assistant
prosecutor who hit her saw her or not, it is better to error on the side of
caution than not.   I personally have several of the reflective vests and
wear them when I'm out at night, as they cause no inconvenience to me,
they're easily put on and taken off and stored in a backpack when not in
use, and they have saved my life on several occasions. They are easily
purchased at sporting goods stores or ordered through any guide dog school
or perhaps an agency who teaches mobility...or at least they should know
something about where to get such equipment.  Check that out for your own
safety to keep you from being a casualty as we saw in the below article.
The victim was hit and has a dislocated and fractured knee at present,
cannot walk on her right leg as that is the one which was injured and is
rehabbing with her parents.

Mike T in NJ.