[Quietcars] Morristown Accident, December 20, 2009

Robert Wilson bwilson4web at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 31 11:41:48 UTC 2009

Thanks Mike for filling in more details. Just about every day I use Google to search news articles for "prius accident", "prius crash", "pedestrian accident" and "pedestrian crash." Grim reading, it converts abstract accident statistics into reality.

I tried to find a listing of Morris County vehicles but had to call to get the accident report. Still I found a Morris County policy that requires a four cylinder engine unless a special requirement (aka., police or fire department) is identified.

We can't emphasize too highly the importance of reflective or light clothing. Several times a year I'll be surprised to see pedestrians dressed in dark clothing looking almost like Ninjas crossing this street and using painted lines dividing a road as an 'island'. Add to that an early sun set into the eyes of drivers and winter is a terrible time for pedestrian accidents.

Small comfort for your friend but the 2010 Prius has European style, pedestrian safety features. These are designed to avoid "knee capping" bumpers and use energy absorbing hood and quarter panels to avoid skull crushing impacts. The bumper cover is a large, plastic piece that deforms relatively easily.

This past week, I read this report of a Bosch braking system:

". . . The upcoming Bosch system detects potential obstacles and initially
provides an audible or visual warning, followed by a brief application
of the brakes. If the driver reacts and steps on the brakes, the system
uses the emergency braking assistant to increase braking pressure and
avoid collision. However, if there is no driver response but impact is
imminent, then the system brakes at maximum force. . . ."

". . . According to European studies, as many as 1,100 fatal accidents
involving pedestrians can be prevented each year if all cars are
equipped with braking assistance systems. These systems have become
mandatory for all new car and light commercial vehicle types in the EU
since November 24, 2009 and will be required in new vehicles from
February 24, 2011 as part of new EU regulation aimed at improving
pedestrian safety. . . ."

http://www.ameinfo.com/219997.html

Systems like this are currently limited to top-of-the-line vehicles. Personally, I think they should be the standard because they save both pedestrians and the vehicle owners by accident avoidance. They use video cameras and radars to detect and react faster than a human driver can respond.

Bob Wilson