[Quietcars] 2009 Washington Seminar Materials

Robert Wilson bwilson4web at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 01:40:40 UTC 2009

Hi,

Your training materials are probably ready to go but I'd like to offer one last suggestion. Caution your folks to be as respectful of 'the honorable competition' as they wish to be taken seriously. This was brought home this evening:

We had a new user sign-up and post in one
of our vehicle specific threads. He made the usual claims but also had "a
chip on his shoulder." Attitude is OK but
to make a false claim of there having been a personal attack has to be
treated the same way we deal with those who actually make personal attacks. Sad to say, I had to give him an infraction and delete his first
posting because he made a false claim of a personal attack. Not to worry, I'd quoted most of
his posting with on topic, facts and data. Only his 'invective' and my
reply citing his 'invective' were converted to '********."

We may not agree on every aspect of pedestrian safety but we don't have to be disagreeable. Older folks pretty well understand this but folks new to the issue and advocacy work may get a little 'carried away.' A word to wise is about all we can ever do.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson