[Quietcars] NYS Safety Board experience

Ken Stewart cclvi at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 05:08:07 UTC 2009

Today I happened upon the bimonthly meeting of a New
York State body the existence of which I had not been
aware, The Public Transportation Safety Board.  At the
end of its agenda, the Chair, Assistant Commissioner
of the State Department of Transportation, Karen Rae,
permitted me to make a brief presentation about the
dangers of quiet cars (and buses) for blind
pedestrians, and the needed regulatory remedy.  After
the meeting, in an informal chat with her Aide,
Gerardo Mendoza, I told him of the letter from the
Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles which
confirmed that most police reports of
pedestrian-vehicle accidents do not capture the
important information as to whether the vehicle was a
quiet car.  Therefore, there is no reliable data to
reveal how serious this problem is.He took my contact
information, so I hope to find out if they were
listening.