[Quietcars] Regression testing 2010 Prius

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Thu Jul 23 13:21:44 UTC 2009

Bob, thanks so much for the explanations regarding what I'd written about
pump noise and other factors during this testing.  Though many of these
things seem to be Greek to me, you'd explained them in a clear manner, and I
understand now what you were referring to.

It appears that though these noises are somewhat audible, they will come up
short in helping anyone detect the presence of a Hybrid, and that the true
solution to this noiseless or quiet automobile has yet to be agreed upon,
though there are several possibilities that are now available for
implementation.  I wonder if the ACB and NFb have made any progress on the
legislative effort, as well as representative Towns's effort from NY?  I
think that hybrid technology is a stopgap to seeking measures to lessen our
dependence on foreign dependence on oil, and that diesel engines or gasoline
engines with turbos may be the clue if their further development continues
along the progress that VW and the newly organized Chrysler and GM are
considering.

Your points about cars becoming more "electronic" dependent is well taken as
well as many cars have drive by wire which essentially eliminates the
throttle linkage and replaces it with TPS switches and computerization to
control how one accelerates and decelerates.  Electronic braking is the next
step, as electric steering is in place on several fronts today.

I would like to suggest that maybe, if you or someone else on list who has a
hybrid has a moment, that you take a spin in the 2010 Honda Insight, which
has been newly revamped and outfitted for a sportier appearance and driving
posture for the model year, to see how it compares in performance and
technology to the Prius.

Thanks again for your efforts and keep us posted on your 2010 Prius.

Mike T in NJ